Common Bermuda grass grows on many soils, possesses a higher level of drought resistance, and makes for excellent turf. When maintained, Bermuda grass gives you the perfect lawn.
This comes with proper lawn care. You will need to cut grass blades precisely to keep your lawn healthy and aesthetically pleasing. Only the best lawn mower can get the job done.
Your lawn mower for Bermuda grass will need to snip and chop the grass blades neatly rather than chew them up and spit them out.
Generally, reel mowers are the best for mowing Bermuda grass, because they cut the grass neater and without damage. However, a rotary lawn mower can be also an excellent choice, so we added a few of them as well to our toplist to give you a better picture of the available options.
Fiskars Stay Sharp Max Reel Mower
Greenworks 40V Push Electric Mower
Scotts Outdoor Push Reel Mower
Here Are the Best Lawn Mowers for Bermuda Grass
Best Reel Mowers –
- Fiskars StaySharp Max Reel Lawn Mower
- Scotts 2000-20 20-Inch Classic Reel Lawn Mower
- Great States Lawn Mower 1815-18 18-Inch Push Reel Mower
- Greenworks Reel Mower 25062
- Great States 415-16 16-Inch 5-Blade Lawn Mower
- Earthwise 1715-16EW 16-Inch Push Reel Mower
Best Rotary Mowers –
We’ll go over each option for the Best Mower for Bermuda Grass below. We will also discuss why I chose them and how you can choose the best Bermuda grass lawn mower for your needs.
Cleanest Cut: Fiskars Stay Sharp Max Reel Mower
- Versa-Cut Technology Offers 1″ – 4″ Cutting Height and 18″ Cutting Width for Clean, Even Cuts.
- InertiaDrive Reel Has Twice the Cutting Power of Ordinary Reel Mowers for Easier Use and Maneuverability.
- Staysharp Technology Eliminates the Need to Resharpen Blades.
- Grass Chute Drives Clippings Away From Your Feet While Eliminating Waste.
- Ergonomic Handling With Smart Technology
- Generous 3 Year Warranty
The Fiskars mower is the best reel mower on the list and the best mower for Bermuda grass overall. It provides an even cut thanks to its 1-4 inch adjustable height.
Its proprietary technology allows it to stay sharp, makes it comfortable to use, and the included 3-year warranty simply sweetens the deal.
Best Rotary Mower: Greenworks 40V Push Electric Mower
- Generous 45 Minute Run Time off of a 120 Minute Charge of the Battery.
- 16″ Cutting Width Allows for Easy Maneuvering Around Small to Medium Lawns
- Sharp Blades Allow It to Handle a Variety of Different Grass and Lawn Types
- Rear Bagging Ensures Easy Pick-up and Clean-up of Grass Clippings
- Extremely Versatile Cutting Height
- Maintenance-Free With Zero Gas Emissions
On the other end, We have the Greenworks 40V, a battery-powered electric cordless mower. It’s an extremely reliable machine with cutting heights going from 1&1/4″ to 3&3/8″.
It allows users to go across their whole lawn without the noise, and smoke gas mowers produce, and it can handle a variety of different grass types, not just Bermuda grass.
Although reel mowers create more uniform cuts on Bermuda grass lawns, this rotary lawn mower is made to do the job well and is an asset for any yard.
Best Lightweight Reel Mower: Scotts Outdoor Power Tools Classic Push Reel Mower
- Wide 20″ Reel Mower with 5 blades
- Push-Powered, No Motor Means No Fuel and No Batteries Required
- Quick-Adjust 1″ -3″ Cutting Height Adjustment to Ensure Even Cuts All Across Your Lawn
- Ergonomic Handling and Easy, No-Tools Assembly
- Lightweight, Easy-To-Use, Maneuverable Mower
This cheap, quiet reel mower is simple but powerful. It packs one of the widest cutting sizes at 20 inches, allowing you to mow your whole lawn in fewer passes.
It is powered entirely by you pushing it, making it lightweight and a breeze to maintain. It has no motors, requiring no additional upkeep and specialized maintenance. Just push and clean.
The best lawn mower for Bermuda grass is a reel mower because its coarse texture allows a reel mower to cut it easier. It is ideal for smaller lawns and the average lawn owner.
Reel Mowers Vs. Rotary Mowers for Bermuda Grass
In the battle for best lawn mowers for Bermuda lawns, the two main contenders are reel mowers and electronic rotary or gas-powered mowers. We will not consider the riding mower.
Although the best riding mower works for large lawns, you will only need a push mower to mow Bermuda grass on your lawn. This is because these lawn mowers are more precise.
They are also more maneuverable and easier to keep straight, which is essential for achieving the soft, uniform appearance that makes Bermuda grass a lawn icon.
Reel mowers use their rotating reel to cut precisely like a pair of scissors. This contrasts with the rotary blade, which can rip and tear grass, browning it and chewing it up if not maintained.
The 6 Best Reel Lawn Mowers for Bermuda Grass
The best reel mower for Bermuda grass is one that can cut Bermuda grass without scalping your lawn and causing brown patches. It should have the right height settings.
Aside from cutting your grass between 3/4″ and 1.5″, your reel lawn mower should be powerful, easy to use and maintain, and have quality other reel mowers can only dream of.
Here are the 6 Best Reel Mowers on the market and what makes each stand out.
1) Fiskars StaySharp Max Reel Mower – Best for Smaller Lawns
- Equipped With Smart Technologies and Ergonomic Features That Make It Easier to Use.
- The InertiaDrive Reel Boasts Twice the Cutting Power, While the Staysharp Cutting System Eliminates Manual Sharpening.
- No Gas, Oil, Charging or Cords. Eco-Friendly Alternative to Powered Lawnmowers.
- 18″ Width, Cut Height Settings Go From 1″ -4.”
This reel lawn mower is the best reel mower for Bermuda lawns because it does not scalp your lawn. Instead, it does a good job mulching your grass clippings, even during summer.
The Fiskars StaySharp is a powerhouse, even if it doesn’t run on any power. It’s environment-friendly but stays ergonomic and easy to use. It’s no problem maneuvering with this one.
Add to that its wide 18-inch cutting width and its massive height settings range, you’ll be able to get a clean, uniform, well-manicured and mulched lawn in no time.
While it suffers when cutting grass taller than 6 inches, these standard reel mowers for Bermuda grass manage to get the job done and done well.
You can check out this article to learn more about the best mowing frequency and height for Bermuda grass.
2) Scotts 2000-20 20-Inch Classic Push Reel Lawn Mower
- Manual rotary lawn mower features 20″ cutting width, 5-blade reel, and 10″ wheels.
- Quick-snap 1 “-3” cutting height adjustment
- Quality, heat-treated alloy steel blades and Lightweight frame
- Ergonomic handle with a long, cushioned grip
This push reel lawn mower for Bermuda grass is an exceptional tool that keeps your lawn clean and healthy, doesn’t jam or misfeed, and even comes with a grass catcher.
Its simple, no-fuss design allows the Scotts 2000 to make even the most notorious black thumb an excellent mower thanks to its quick-step lever that adjusts cutting height from 1-3 inches.
While there are several ways to make a Bermudagrass lawn thick, giving it a neat and organized mow increases grass quality. It’s the same as us, humans, with haircuts.
It’s also best to mow your grass at least twice a week. This may cause your machine to degrade quicker than other reel mowers for Bermuda Grass.
However, its cheap price point, ease of use, lack of motors and ergonomic handle make this mower a treat to use, and it will serve you and your lawn well for as long as you have it.
3) Great States Lawn Mower 1815-18 18-Inch Push Reel Mower
- Adjustable cutting height of 1/2 to 2 & 3/4ths inches
- 18″ cutting, 5-blades and 10″ heavy-duty wheels
- Extra-sharp, high-quality steel alloy blades
- Environment-friendly and quiet motorless design
This push reel lawn mower for Bermuda grass excels because of its enhanced durability brought about by its tempered steel alloy blades. The extra-wide reel also makes it fast to work with.
Thanks to its fine cutting height adjustment, it also stands out, going from as low as half an inch to 2 and 3/4ths inch. This precision helps you get the perfect cut every time.
The 1815 mower offers great traction because of its huge wheels but remains lightweight and maneuverable, allowing you to run, clean, and store it with no worries.
Like all similar mowers, 1815 suffers when cutting anything above 5 inches, and it does not mow when pulled back. These are common concerns, however, and nothing to worry about.
4) Greenworks Reel Lawn Mower 25062
- 18″ Width
- 2-in-1 Features for mulching and rear bag capabilities
- 9 position height adjustment from 1 3/4″ to 2 3/4″
- 10″ front wheels and 4″ rear wheels, No Motor Performance
The 25062 is a reel lawn mower for Bermuda grass that is surprisingly capable of mowing large areas. Its 9 point adjustment lets you hit the sweet spot of 1.75 inches for Bermuda.
This Greenworks mower also came with all the bells and whistles, with the grass catcher bag being a particularly-pleasant stand-out. It’s ideal for small lawns because of its size.
A major downside of this mower is that it’s surprisingly noisy despite its lack of engines and can get pretty irritating for someone looking to get some peace while mowing the lawn.
Overall, this Greenworks mower is capable, if loud, bet for your lawn, catching your grass clippings for easy disposal or mulching, and lets you mow consistently and reliably.
5) Great States 415-16 16-Inch 5-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower
- Adjustable cutting height of 1 inch-2.5 inch
- Offered in 12″, 16″, 18″ cutting widths, 5-blade reel, and 10″ wheels
- Comfortable T-style handle parts and cushioned grip
- No need for gas, oil or battery power
This manual mower is one of the best for Bermuda grass, thanks to its 18-inch maximum width, ergonomic grip, large wheels, and 5-bladed reel.
It’ll cut grass with relative ease, and as the cheapest option on the list, it’ll make any lawn owner want to take a look. Despite its price, it’s a high-quality, reliable lawn mower.
This Great States cutter will leave your lawn looking neat, leaving no brown spots and awkward cuts, though it’s sometimes underpowered when facing tough weeds and large yards.
A downside of the 415 is that it often gets stuck on lawns filled with sticks, lacking the power that gas mowers provide.
6) Earthwise 1715-16EW 16-Inch Push Reel Mower
- 16″ cutting width, 7-blade steel alloy reel, and 10″ wheels, Steel plate design
- Adjustable height of 1/2 – 2&1/2 inches
- An Environment-friendly alternative to gas mowers
This Earthwise reel lawn mower offers precise, clean cuts in a lightweight, 29.5 lb package. It boasts a heavy-duty side steel plate design for added protection and durability.
This makes it the perfect, rugged companion for your mowing adventures, whether you have a small or medium-sized yard. It is adjustable, albeit more difficult to do so than other mowers.
As with other models, it is vital to use this mower before the grass grows taller than 6 inches, as even its 7-bladed reel may not be enough to chop down lawn grass that tall.
This reel mower for Bermuda is a reliable, eco-friendly mower that doesn’t make it hard on the user but may bog down a bit when the area gets too dense.
2 Best Rotary Lawn Mower for Bermuda Grass
Rotary mowers are not the best for Bermuda lawns creating an awful mess of your lawn.
Rotary mowers work best for huge lawns such as golf courses and sports fields and work best when gas-powered or electric. This way, your industrial grass problems get solved.
Now that we’ve found the best reel mower for Bermuda let’s look through some of the best rotary mowers for Bermuda Grass and what makes these electric mowers ideal for Bermuda.
1) Greenworks 40V Rotary Mower – Best Overall Rotary Lawn Mower
- Cordless Lawn Mower – The 40 Volt Push Lawn Mower Provides the Powe up to 45 Minutes of Runtime on a Fully Charged 4.0ah Battery.
- A Lightweight 16″ Cutting Deck Allows for Easy Maneuvering Through Yards (Up to ½ Acre) More Efficiently. Works With Easy Push Button Start.
- Versatile – Single Lever 5-Position Height Adjustment With a Cutting Height From 1-1/4″ to 3-3/8″ for the Best Cut In All Environments.
- Maintenance Free – No Gas, No Oil and No Emissions. It Starts at the Push of a Button. It Delivers Gas-Like Power Using Electronic Batteries.
The Greenworks 40V is the best rotary mower and battery-powered lawn mower for your Bermuda lawn. It will have you cutting your lawn regularly because of how easy it is to use.
The Greenworks 16-Inch 40V Cordless Lawn Mower is amazing. Charge it for 120 minutes, and you will have 45 minutes of easy, uninterrupted mowing on your hands.
Its powerful battery produces gas-like performance with none of the environmental drawbacks. Press start, and its wide cutting deck and 5-position cutting height do the rest.
Greenworks is an American lawn mower company that has mastered rotary mowers. All small to medium-sized lawns can benefit from their efficient, innovative and ingenious designs.
2) Greenworks Pro 80V Cordless Rotary Mower
- NEVER STOP CUTTING. Up to 60 minutes of run time with 2 fully charged 2.0AH Battery
- 7 Inch Front Wheels allowing for a Smoother Ride and Better Weight Distribution
- Battery-operated motors deliver performance equivalent to a 160cc gas engine.
- Contains Smart Cut Load Sensing Technology with 3-in-1 Mulch, Rear Bag and Side Discharge
- Rapid Charger and 2x 2.0 AH Batteries Included
The Greenworks Pro is another of their battery-powered lawn mowers that blows away all other rotary mowers. It outperforms, outlasts, and out-mows the competition.
As is common with Greenworks power mowers, the Greenworks pro contains powerful rechargeable batteries that allow you to mow non-stop for an hour.
Its output is equivalent to a 160cc gas engine without smoke and noise. This electronic engine lets you chop grass easily and store and release it with its integrated bag and discharge.
This system is an impressive machine that works best for yards over 1000 sq feet because of its power output and size.
What to consider when Buying a Lawn Mower for your Bermuda Grass
Only the best lawn mower will do when caring for a Bermuda grass lawn. Reel mowers may be ideal for Bermuda grass, but personal preference dictates if rotary mowers work better.
Let’s go over some of the factors you need to consider when finding the mower for you.
Adjustable Cutting Height
Height is important for your mowers when cutting grass blades, especially when dealing with small or tall grass.
Your blades should be able to cut grass as low as 1-inch, but nothing lower, as going too low can scalp your lawn and cause bare spots. Adjusting height also helps in containing grass clippings.
By choosing a mower with cutting height adjustments from 0.5 inches to 3 inches, you will have greater control of cutting your Bermuda grass at any growth stage.
Size of the Lawn
Mowing Bermuda Grass lawns works best when you understand the size of your lawn. The mowers on this list work best for a small to medium-sized lawn.
Any lawn over 2000 sq ft would be far too large for a standard push mower. You would be better off using a riding mower. What matters is that you frequently mow your lawn.
Is the Lawn Level Enough?
You will need to ensure that your lawn is level to avoid leaving swirls in your lawn when mowing. An overgrown lawn with thick grass will increase the chances of this happening.
Rotary lawn mowers work better on the bumpy and uneven ground since they’re more versatile. A reel mower is ideal if your lawn is straight and level.
Cutting Width (Blade Width)
The cutting width, or how wide the area of your mower is filled with very sharp blades, determines how many passes you will need to mow your whole lawn.
When Mowing bermuda grass lawns, the best mowers come with a blade width of 14″ to 20″. The wider the blade is, the faster you can cut in one pass.
When you cut tall grass, every grass blade needs to be hit. While 20-inch blades get more grass in one go, they are harder to push and maneuver. It is easier to move a narrower-bladed mower.
Weight of the Mower
Mowing Bermuda Grass Lawns requires a more lightweight mower since every reel mower on this list is self-propelled. Being lighter weight allows them to move more smoothly.
A light mower weighing below 28 lbs makes your reel mower more maneuverable. However, customers will consider a heavier 30+ lbs model if it is more well-built and durable.
Mobility and maneuverability answer how easy it is to roll your reel mower around, how easy it is to change direction, and how easy it is to keep it straight.
This is especially important when working with a Bermuda lawn, as it can get tough to move around in. In this case, a lightweight mower is better to cut grass with.
Besides weight, other important factors include how many blades a reel mower has, the kind of wheels, and its handle quality. These all affect its maneuverability.
It may also benefit you to research your potential reel mower’s technical specifications to find the one that works best on your lawn.
The best riding mowers are arguably the most maneuverable because they’re meant to be driven like a golf cart. However, they can be slow and heavy to move. Not ideal for house lawns.
The reel mower or rotary mower that will give you the best bang for your buck lasts long and can take a pounding. It should be durable, strong, and capable of your demands.
When checking the durability of your reel mower, always inspect the materials that the blades, wheels and other components are made of. Tempered steel alloy stays sharp the longest.
While the best riding lawn mowers are the most durable, they’re excessive for your needs. You are still better off using the push lawn mowers on this list instead of riding mowers.
As with any expensive purchase, it’s important to consider whether or not your real mower comes with a warranty. This shows that manufacturers care about quality and customers.
Ensure that your Bermuda grass reel mower comes with a 2-year warranty before you consider buying it. This way, your purchase will serve you even after your machine breaks.
Reel mowers will always be better when choosing the best lawn mowers for Bermuda grass. However, some of the best lawn mowers out there are rotary mowers.
In the end, the choice comes down to you. The best lawn mower is the one that is durable, reliable, maneuverable, and cares for your Bermuda lawn the way you do.